ERA5.1, a re-run of ERA5 for 2000-2006 only, now available through CDS API

We are pleased to inform you that the Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S) at ECMWF has released ERA5.1, a re-run of ERA5, for the years 2000 to 2006 only. ERA5.1 was produced to improve upon the cold bias in the lower stratosphere seen in ERA5 during this period.

Moreover, ERA5.1 analyses have a better representation of the following features:

• upper stratospheric temperature
  • stratospheric humidity

The lower and middle troposphere in ERA5.1 are similar to those in ERA5, as is the synoptic evolution in the extratropical stratosphere. Therefore, for such applications ERA5.1 will add little value compared to ERA5.

Access to ERA5.1 data is through the CDS API only using 'reanalysis-era5.1-complete' as per our updated ERA5 complete data download guidelines.

See the following example for the script syntax:

Example to download ERA5.1 monthly mean temperature at 50 hPa at a regular lat/lon grid in NetCDF format.
#!/usr/bin/env python
import cdsapi
c = cdsapi.Client()
c.retrieve('reanalysis-era5.1-complete', { # Please note the addition '.1' for ERA5.1!
                                           # Keywords 'expver' and 'class' can be dropped. They are obsolete
                                           # since their values are imposed by 'reanalysis-era5.1-complete'
    'date': '2005-01-01',                  # Valid range:  2000-01-01 to 2006-12-31. Always first of the month for monthly means
    'levelist': '50',                      # Pressure level at 50 hPa
    'levtype': 'pl',
    'param': '130.128',                    # Full information at https://apps.ecmwf.int/codes/grib/param-db/
    'stream': 'moda',                      # Monthly means (of Daily means).
    'type': 'an',
    'grid'    : '1.0/1.0',                 # Latitude/longitude grid resolution.
    'format'  : 'netcdf',                  # Output needs to be regular lat-lon, so only works in combination with 'grid'!
}, 'era5.1-temperature-monthly-mean.nc')

Data Support team

ECMWF

I know the 130 represents the temperature, yet  what does the '.128' mean ?

Hi,

it is GRIB 1 table number.

so, How do I get the 24 hourly data for 2000-2006 for era5.1?

Hi,

You can use the example called:

Example to download model level ERA5 analysis data (temperature) for a given area at a regular lat/lon grid in NetCDF format

at the following page: How to download ERA5#OptionB:DownloadERA5familydatathatisNOTlistedintheCDSonlinecatalogue-SLOWACCESS

and change 'reanalysis-era5-complete' to 'reanalysis-era5.1-complete'.

For the list of available parameters at model levels please check Table 12 at the following link:

ERA5: data documentation#Parameterlistings

Best

Michela

Hi. I have found the parameters and can set the dates and times. I am not sure of the stream/type that would give me 24 hourly data ensemble means t 0.25x0.25. Whatever I select seems to have 8x daily data and not 24x. 

'date' : '2000-01-01/to/2000-12-31', # 
'levtype' : 'sfc',
'param' : '204.200', 
'stream' : 'oper', # Denotes ERA5. 
'time' : '00/to/23/by/1', 
'type' : 'an',
'area' : 'global', # North, West, South, East. Default: global
'grid' : '0.25/0.25', # Latitude/longitude. Default: spherical harmonics or reduced Gaussian grid
'format' : 'grib', # Output needs to be regular lat-lon, so only works in combination with 'grid'!
}, 'DSWRF.2000.grib') # Output file. Adapt as you wish.

Hi Cathy, the ERA5 ensemble data are output at 3 hourly resolution; see:

ERA5: data documentation

under

Hope that helps,

Kevin