ACCESS CHANGE to CAMS Global atmospheric composition forecast data implemented

We confirm that access to CAMS Near-real-time (July 2012 - present) through the ECMWF public web API service was stopped on 30 June 2021.

The new access method is through the CAMS Atmosphere Data Store (ADS). You can now access the available data interactively through the ADS web interface (CAMS global atmospheric composition forecasts) and/or programmatically using the API.

Please follow our guidelines on How to migrate to CDS API on the Atmosphere Data Store (ADS). Some CAMS global atmospheric composition forecasts data access specifics are also provided in the new consolidated CAMS global atmospheric composition forecasts data documentation.

Data from the latest three days, with forecasts up to 5 days into the future is now also available from the ADS but for time-critical applications, FTP access to the latest 3 days forecast data remains the recommended access mechanism.

The move to the Atmosphere Data Store service is necessary as part of the CAMS strategy to unify data access for all CAMS products. 

MARS users may continue to download CAMS data using their privilege account.

If you have any questions about this change or any comments or feedback on the new ADS, please contact us.

Regards,

ECMWF Support

You may also read also our CAMS web article on "Accessing atmospheric composition forecasts made easy".

Hello, ECMWF Support!

Can you help me, please?
I read your annoucement and started using CAMS global atmospheric composition forecasts instead of "near real-time" CAMS. I noticed that the "near-real-time" was uploaded with one day of delay. But the new option has five days of delay. Is this normal because of the datastore change or is it definitive?

Thanks!

Hello, ECMWF Support!

Can you help me, please?
I read your annoucement and started using CAMS global atmospheric composition forecasts instead of "near real-time" CAMS. However, the request failed, and the warning is 'an internal error occurred processing your request '. detail reason is following:
Reason:
{'traceback': 'Traceback (most recent call last):\n File "/opt/cdstoolbox/cdscompute/cdscompute/cdshandlers/services/handler.py", line 55, in handle_request\n result = cached(context.method, proc, context, context.args, context.kwargs)\n File "/opt/cdstoolbox/cdscompute/cdscompute/caching.py", line 108, in cached\n result = proc(context, *context.args, **context.kwargs)\n File "/opt/cdstoolbox/cdscompute/cdscompute/services.py", line 118, in __call__\n return p(*args, **kwargs)\n File "/opt/cdstoolbox/cdscompute/cdscompute/services.py", line 59, in __call__\n return self.proc(context, *args, **kwargs)\n File "/home/cds/cdsservices/services/mars_constrained/mars/mars.py", line 50, in external\n return mars(context, request, **kwargs)\n File "/home/cds/cdsservices/services/mars_constrained/mars/mars.py", line 17, in mars\n execute_mars(context, requests)\n File "/home/cds/cdsservices/services/mars_constrained/mars/execute_mars.py", line 18, in execute_mars\n context.run_command("/usr/local/bin/mars", tmp, exception=MarsException)\n File "/opt/cdstoolbox/cdscompute/cdscompute/context.py", line 209, in run_command\n raise exception(call, proc.returncode, output)\nhome.cds.cdsservices.services.mars_constrained.__init__.py.mars.exceptions.MarsException: Suspected MARS tunnel problem\n'}

Thanks!

Hi, I'm trying to access the CAMS realtime data through the python api (cdsapi).

However, I keep getting this error term when trying to request the data:

HTTPError: 404 Client Error:  for url: https://cds.climate.copernicus.eu/api/v2/resources/cams-global-atmospheric-composition-forecasts

Exception: Resource cams-global-atmospheric-composition-forecasts not found

Might you be able to help me understand what has gone wrong?

Hello, Alex!
I'm not sure, but looking for your URL, I think you are using your ECMWF credentials, the same you were using for CAMS near-real-time. The new maps, CAMS GloBal Atmospheric Composition comes from ADS (https://ads.atmosphere.copernicus.eu/cdsapp#!/dataset/cams-global-atmospheric-composition-forecasts?tab=overview) and it's necessary a new  register and login! The new url is https://ads.atmosphere.copernicus.eu/api/v2

Did you register a new account on ADS?

Bye!

Hi Mauricio,

Thanks for your response. I have registered for an ADS account and am using the guidance shown here to use the CDS API on the ADS: How to migrate to CDS API on the Atmosphere Data Store (ADS)

Although it is stated that the new api https://ads.atmosphere.copernicus.eu/api/v2 can be queried via REST, I am unable to find any documentation at all of the REST interface. There is a reference to an R interface to ADS, but even this doesn't seem to provide any useful information about the REST api. Have I missed something or is there just no such documentation available?