Preparing of CAMS data to WRF-Chem

Dear all, 

I just downloaded CAMS data for the year 2017 for a simulation with WRF-Chem.

I was wondering if you have any advice on how to prepare the data to be ingested by WRF-Chem.

Hope to have some feedback soon

Kind Regards

Joana

Dear Joana,

I cannot promise you anything at the moment. But I want to let you know that we are looking into this for you and hopefully something will come up in the next couple of weeks/months.

Kind regards,

Xiaobo

Dear Xiaobo Yang 

I see that Bojan Kasic posted an answer for this How to run WRF-Chem using CAMS initial and boundary conditions  , on the confluence documentation : [confluence] User Documentation > How to run WRF-Chem using CAMS initial and boundary conditions

Although the answer provided is exactly what I need , I can't access the folder/scripts to solve the question, so it's a bit pointless having the answer but being unable to realise it .

Could you help please ?

Many thanks

Kind Regards

Joana

Dear Joana,

Well spotted. It is a document in working progress. My colleague doing a lot of tests for the time being. Once we feel it is ready, we will certainly share the information with you. So stay tuned.

Kind regards,

Xiaobo

Thanks Xiaobo Yang, I only spotted it because we got an e-mail notification regarding this and when I try to follow the link I couldn't access it.

Will wait for it to be available then

Many Thanks

Regards

J

Dear Xiaobo Yangthe page is now public (How to run WRF-Chem using CAMS initial and boundary conditions on ECMWF's Cray HPC (CCA[B])), but is a bit pointless if you don't have access to the scripts. I posted this question many months ago, and have been waiting for an answer which Bojan Kasicreplied , but I can't solve it because I don't have access to CAMS_to_WRF_utility/ folder. Is there anyway I can access the scripts ? Hope I can have some sort of help.

Many Thanks

Kind Regards

Joana

Dear Joana Medeiros,

Thank you for your interest in this topic. As you have already noted, the solution is only available to users with access to our HPC system. We are in the process of providing the solution for general public here and we are waiting for permission to share the peace of code developed externally. Once we have it, we will share it here.

Thanks for your patience,

Bojan

That would be great, 

I will hold for any updates on this...hopefully won't take as many months again (smile)

Many Thanks

Kind Regards

Joana

Hi Joana Medeiros ,

Here it is:

How to run the WRF-Chem model using CAMS data as initial and boundary conditions (BC)?

Sorry you had to wait so much.

Let us know if you have any problems or questions.

Bojan

Oh wow, 

Thank you so much Bojan Kasic

Will try it as soon as possible

Kind Regards

Joana

Dear Bojan KasicI tried to click the link for the public_box.tar.gz but it comes empty, can't download it : 

Step 3: Using mozbc to interpolate CAMS data for WRF

With a set of additional utilities, it is possible to use the mozbc package provided by the Atmospheric Chemistry Observations and Modelling Lab (ACOM) of NCAR to pre-process CAMS data with some minor modifications to the original code. The set of additional utilities has been developed as part of the AQMEII project and kindly provided by A. Lupascu (IASS-Posdam) and C. Knote (NCAR): public_box.tar.gz. The package contains:

When I click , it sends me back to the top of the page 

Is it available publicly ?

Thanks

J

Dear Xiaobo, 

Thanks for the reply, 

Will hold for some feedback 

Many Thanks

J

Could you please refresh the article page and try again?

Let me know if it works.

Thanks.

Michela

Hi, yes it does, just downloaded it with no issues

Many Thanks

Cheers

J

Hi all, sorry i'm late to this party, but I have also prepared some scripts to get and process the operational near real time CAMS data and process for use in mozbc. THe species mapping would have to be tailored to your specific wrf-chem set up.  I use mostly python. If there's any interest in these, let me know. 

Liz

Hi, 

Oh That would be very helpful yes, all the help is more than welcoming,

If you don't mind sharing the scripts it would be much appreciated

Thank you very much Liz Coleman ,

Joana

get_merge_proc_cams_generic.pyHi , so i'll try talk through the code here, it's not extensively commented. 

I use python and cdo system command, called through the python script. 

Function 1: i get the data from cams via wget

function 2: resample each file to a smaller domain to speed up the processing. this task is farmed out over available processors. the lon lat box of the new datafile  is defined here : domain_red=('-46,46,30,70')

function 3: we merge all the datafiles to one file per timestep. again, this is performed in parallel. 

function 4: create a mozart-type file from the merged, reduced domain CAMS dataset. For this, i got the hyam and hybm variable from this site: https://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/documentation-and-support/137-model-levels and wrote them to a text file to be read in by the script. 

I changed the timestep to the way it is understood by mozbc. 

o_date=YYMMDD and o_datesec= second of the day. 

Wrote surpface pressure (PS), taken from lnsp in cams file. 

finally, wrote the species to the files, looped, converting gas units to mol/mol . 

This file can then be read in by mozbc. Please let me know if any questions, and if you do use this script, an acknowledgement would be much appreciated! 

Liz Coleman, C-CAPS, NUI Galway, Ireland

Many thanks for sharing this, Liz!

This is great

Many thanks for the sharing Liz Coleman

J

Hello all,

please, can anybody explain me why we need temperature? I understand surface pressure as we need to calculate model level pressure from P0,PS and hyam hybm. But I am not sure why we need temperature. I went through the codes and I just cant see where it is used. thank you